“If oxygen is required, a mask like this, will fall from above you. Apply your own mask first, before helping others.”
I fly fairly often and can recite word for word almost all of the pre-flight safety message. The key message above, applies to leaders and staff in schools. We need to take responsibility for our own care, if we are going to be in a position to help others in need.
Inspired by the 12 self-care tips from the Power of Positivity I have added a few extra tips.
- If it feels wrong, don’t do it.
- Say ‘exactly’ what you mean.
- Don’t be a people pleaser.
- Trust your instincts.
- Never speak bad about yourself (or others).
- Never give up on your dreams.
- Don’t be afraid to say, “No!”
- Don’t be afraid to say “Yes!”
- Be KIND to yourself.
- Let go of what you can’t control.
- Stay away from drama and negativity.
- Presume the other person means well.
- Practise patience.
- Be the bigger person.
- Don’t take it personally.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff!
- Keep exercising, even when you are busy.
- When times are particularly challenging and stressful, think “This too will end!”
- Your work is important and you have the opportunity to change lives every day.
As we come to the crazy final term of the school year, which of these do you need to put into action and have as your mantra?